2017 Gale Lecture: Dr. Karen Berman
Thursday, March 16, 2:00 pm
Research Building Auditorium
"From Genes to Neural Circuits to Behavior and Back Again:
Neurogenetic Mechanisms in Williams Syndrome"
Karen Gale's website Information for memorial service and donations to a named lectureship.
Because research is such an important aspect of our programs, we include links to recent faculty publications. Click each title to see the abstracts
- Sex-dependent expression of TRPV1 in bladder arterioles.. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 311(5),2016.
- Protease induced plasticity: matrix metalloproteinase-1 promotes neurostructural changes through activation of protease activated receptor 1. Sci Rep. 6:35497, 2016.
- Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 11:e0162480, 2016.
- Bidirectional Control of Social Behavior by Activity within Basolateral and Central Amygdala of Primates. J Neurosci. 36:8746-56, 2016.
- Amygdala selectively modulates defensive responses evoked from the superior colliculus in non-human primates. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. Aug 10, 2016.
- Evidence for the role of β2* nAChR desensitization in regulating body weight in obese mice. Neuropharmacology. 110(Pt A):165-74, 2016.
- Chemogenetic silencing of the midline and intralaminar thalamus blocks amygdala-kindled seizures. Exp Neurol 283(PtA):404-412, 2016.
- Major vault protein in cardiac and smooth muscle. Receptors Clin Investig 3:pii:e1310 Epub, 2016.
- An integrative genome-wide transcriptome reveals that candesartan is neuroprotective and a candidate therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Res Ther 8:5, 2016.
- Stress Increases GABAergic Neurotransmission in CRF Neurons of the Central Amygdala and Bed nucleus Stria Terminalis. Neuropharmacology 107:239-250, 2016.
- Anticonvulsant drug-induced cell death in the developing white matter of the rodent brain. Epilepsia 57:727-734, 2016.
- Evidence to Consider Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers for the Treatment of Early Alzheimer's Disease. Cell Mol Neurobiol 36:259-279, 2016.
- Big Data: Challenges and opportunities for clinical pharmacology. Br J Clin Pharmacol 81:804-6, 2016.
- Direct-to-consumer Marketing to People with Hemophilia PLoS Med.13:e1001996, 2016.
- Optogenetic and pharmacological evidence that somatostatin-GABA neurons are important regulators of parasympathetic outflow to the stomach. J Physiol. 594:2661-2679, 2016.
- Carfilzomib reverses pulmonary arterial hypertension. Cardiovasc Res. Epub ahead of print, 2016.
- Comparison of the long-term behavioral effects of neonatal exposure to retigabine or phenobarbital in rats. Epilepsy Behav. 57(Pt A):34-40, 2016.
- A Mercaptoacetamide-Based Class II Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor Increases Dendritic Spine Density via RasGRF1/ERK Pathway. J Alzheimers Dis. 51:591-604, 2016.
- Neuroligin 1 regulates spines and synaptic plasticity via LIMK1/cofilin-mediated actin reorganization. J Cell Biol. 212:449-463, 2016.
- Profile of retigabine-induced neuronal apoptosis in the developing rat brain. Epilepsia Epub ahead of print, 2016.
- Expression of gp120 in mice evokes anxiety behavior: Co-occurrence with increased dendritic spines and brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the amygdala. Brain Behav Immun. pii S0889-1591(16)30021-6, 2016.
- Modulators of right ventricular apoptosis and contractility in a rat model of pulmonary hypertension. Cardiovasc Res. 110:30-39, 2016.
- Optogenetic activation of superior colliculus neurons suppresses seizures originating in diverse brain networks. Neurobiol Dis 87:102-115, 2016.
- Mapping homeostatic synaptic plasticity using cable properties of dendrites. Neuroscience 315:206-216, 2016.
- Anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects of the methadone metabolite 2-ethyl-5-methyl-3,3-diphenyl-1-pyrroline (EMDP). Neuropharmacology 101:46-56, 2016.
- Hexa (ethylene glycol) derivative of benzothiazole aniline promotes dendritic spine formation through the RasGRF1-Ras dependent pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta 1862:284-295, 2016.
- Major vault protein regulates cell growth/survival signaling through oxidative modifications. Cell Signal 28:12-18, 2016.
- Control of spine maturation and pruning through ProBDNF synthesized and released in dendrites. Mol Cell Neurosci 71:66-79,2016.
- CME stands for commercial medical education: and ACCME still won't address the issue. J Med Ethics 2015.
- Chloride is an Agonist of Group II and III Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 88:450-9, 2015 .
- Evidence for glycinergic GluN1/GluN3 NMDA receptors in hippocampal metaplasticity. Neurobiol Learn Mem 125:265-273, 2015.
- Totarol prevents neuronal injury in vitro and ameliorates brain ischemic stroke: Potential roles of Akt activation and HO-1 induction. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 289:142-154, 2015.
- Hepatic expression of serum amyloid A1 is induced by traumatic brain injury and modulated by telmisartan. Am J Pathol 185:2641-2651, 2015.
- Atypical signaling of metabotropic glutamate receptor 1 in human melanoma cells. Biochem Pharmacol 98:182-189, 2015.
- Effects of Acupuncture, RU-486 on the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in Chronically Stressed Adult Male Rats. Endocrinology 156:3649-3660, 2015.
- Telmisartan prevention of LPS-induced microglia activation involves M2 microglia polarization via CaMKKβ-dependent AMPK activation. Brain Behav Immun 50:298-313, 2015.
- AT-1001 Is a Partial Agonist with High Affinity and Selectivity at Human and Rat α3β4 Nicotinic Cholinergic Receptors. Mol Pharmacol 88:640-649, 2015.
- Rhythmic Aortic Contractions Induced by Electrical Stimulation In Vivo in the Rat. PLoS One 10:e0130255, 2015.
- Hypoactive sexual desire disorder: inventing a disease to sell low libido. J Med Ethics 41:859-862, 2015.
- The piriform, perirhinal, and entorhinal cortex in seizure generation. Front Neural Circuits 9:27, 2015.
- Discrete BDNF Neurons in the Paraventricular Hypothalamus Control Feeding and Energy Expenditure. Cell Metab 22:175-188, 2015.
- Neurorestoration after traumatic brain injury through angiotensin II receptor blockage. Brain 138:3299-3315, 2015.
- Menthol Enhances the Desensitization of Human α3β4 Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. Mol Pharmacol 88:256-264, 2015.
- Competition, Selectivity and Efficacy of Analogs of A-84543 for Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors with Repositioning of Pyridine Nitrogen. Neurochem Res 40:2131-2142, 2015.
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is required for axonal growth of selective groups of neurons in the arcuate nucleus. Mol Metab.2015 Mar 20;4(6):471-82.
- Structure-activity relationship studies of SEN12333 analogues: Determination of the optimal requirements for binding affinities at α7 nAChRs through incorporation of known structural motifs. Eur J Med Chem. 2015 95:277-301
- Blockade of glutamatergic transmission in perirhinal cortex impairs object recognition memory in macaques. J Neurosci. 2015 35(12):5043-50
- Utilizing GCaMP transgenic mice to monitor endogenous Gq/11-coupled receptors. Front Pharmacol. 2015 6:42
- Short- and long-term neurological and psychiatric sequelae of developmental exposure to antiepileptic and anesthetic drugs. Front Neurol. 2015 6:41
- APOE Genotype Alters Immunoglobulin Subtypes in Knock-In Mice. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pharmacological characterization of mGlu1 receptors in cerebellar granule cells reveals biased agonism. Neuropharmacology. 2015 Feb 17
- [125I]Iodo-ASEM, a specific in vivo radioligand for α7-nAChR. Nucl Med Biol. 2014 Dec 20
- T lymphocytes possess the machinery for 5-HT synthesis, storage, degradation and release. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2015 Feb 14
- Pharmacological induction of CCL5 in vivo prevents gp120-mediated neuronal injury. Neuropharmacology. 2015 Jan 23