Professor of Pharmacology
The Ohio State University, 1974
Research in my laboratory is focused on understanding the structure, function and regulation of neuronal nicotinic cholinergic receptors in the brain and the autonomic nervous system. In the brain, these receptors are strategically located where they can mediate the release of several important neurotransmitters, including dopamine, norepinephrine, acetylcholine, GABA and glutamate. In the autonomic nervous system, nicotinic receptors mediate fast excitatory transmission at ganglia; therefore, these ganglionic nicotinic receptors influence the function of nearly all peripheral organs.
Nicotinic receptors are composed of two or more protein subunits and exist as several different receptors subtypes based on their subunit composition. A major goal of our group's research is to understand how these receptor subtypes differ with regard to their specific location within the brain, their pharmacology, and their regulation. To do this, we employ a wide variety of techniques, including radioligand binding with ligands selective for subgroups of these receptors, immunoprecipitation of labeled receptors and western blot analysis of specific subunits using selective antibodies, and pharmacological characterization of receptor functions. We have used molecular biological methods to create a library of mammalian cells that stably express neuronal nicotinic receptors of defined subunit composition. These cells have allowed us to compare the pharmacological properties of these defined receptor subtypes with native neuronal receptors in CNS and ganglia.
- Levin ED, Rezvani AH, Wells C, Slade S, Yenugonda VM, Liu Y, Brown ML, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ α4β2 Nicotinic receptor desensitizing compounds can decrease self-administration of cocaine and methamphetamine in rats.
. Eur J Pharmacol. 845:1-7, 2018.
- Harris AC, Muelken P, Smethells JR, Yershova K, Stepanov I, Olson TT, Kellar KJ, LeSage MG Effects of nicotine-containing and "nicotine-free" e-cigarette refill liquids on intracranial self-stimulation in rats. Drug Alcohol Depend. 185:1-9, 2018.
- DeDominicis KE, Sahibzada N, Olson TT, Xiao Y, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ and Yasuda RP The stoichiometry (α4)3(β2)2 of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor predominates in the rat motor cortex. Molecular Pharmacology July 11, 2017.
- Rezvani AH, Slade S, Wells C, Yenugonda VM, Liu Y, Brown ML, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, Levin ED Differential efficacies of the nicotinic α4β2 desensitizing agents in reducing nicotine self-administration in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 234:2517-2523, 2017.
- Dezfuli G, Kellar KJ, Dretchen KL, Tizabi Y, Sahibzada N, Gillis RA. Evidence for the role of β2* nAChR desensitization in regulating body weight in obese mice.Neuropharmacology. 110(Pt A):165-74, 2016
- Forcelli PA, Turner JR, Lee BG, Olson TT, Xie T, Xiao Y, Blendy JA, Kellar KJ. Anxiolytic- and Antidepressant-like Effects of the Methadone Metabolite 2-ethyl-5-methyl-3,3-diphenyl-1-pyrroline (EMDP). Neuropharmacology. 101, 46-56, 2016.
- Tuan EW, Horti AG, Olson TT, Gao Y, Stockmeier CA, Al-Muhtasib N, Bowman Dalley C, Lewin AE, Wolfe BB, Sahibzada N, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ. AT-1001 Is a Partial Agonist with High Affinity and Selectivity at Human and Rat α3β4 Nicotinic Cholinergic Receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 88, 640-649, 2015.
- Ton HT, Smart AE, Aguilar BL, Olson TT, Kellar KJ, Ahern GP: Menthol Enhances the Desensitization of Human α3β4 Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 2015 May 11
- Gao Y, Mease RC, Olson TT, Kellar KJ, Dannals RF, Pomper MG, Horti AG: [125I]Iodo-ASEM, a specific in vivo radioligand for α7-nAChR. Nucl Med Biol. 2014 Dec 20
- Liu Y, Paige M, Olson TT, Al-Muhtasib N, Xie T, Hou S, White MP, Cordova A, Guo JL, Kellar KJ, Xiao Y, Brown ML.: Synthesis and pharmacological characterization of new neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligands derived from Sazetidine-A. Bioorg Med Chem Lett: 24:2954-2956, 2014
- Hussmann GP, Dedominicis KE, Turner JR, Yasuda RP, Klehm J, Forcelli PA, Xiao Y, Richardson JR, Sahibzada N, Wolfe BB, Lindstrom J, Blendy JA, Kellar KJ: Chronic sazetidine-A maintains anxiolytic effects and slower weight gain following chronic nicotine without maintaining increased density of nicotinic receptors in rodent brain. J Neurochem. 129:721-731, 2014
- Horti AG, Gao Y, Kuwabara H, Wang Y, Abazyan S, Yasuda RP, Tran T, Xiao Y, Sahibzada N, Holt DP, Kellar KJ, Pletnikov MV, Pomper MG, Wong DF, Dannals RF: 18F-ASEM, a Radiolabeled Antagonist for Imaging the α7-Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor with PET. J Nucl Med. 55:672-677, 2014
- Gao Y, Kellar KJ, Yasuda RP, Tran T, Xiao Y, Dannals RF, Horti AG: Derivatives of dibenzothiophene for positron emission tomography imaging of α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Med Chem. 56:7574-89, 2013
- Yenugonda VM, Xiao Y, Levin ED, Rezvani AH, Tran T, Al-Muhtasib N, Sahibzada N, Xie T, Wells C, Slade S, Johnson JE, Dakshanamurthy S, Kong HS, Tomita Y, Liu Y, Paige M, Kellar KJ, Brown ML: Design, synthesis and discovery of picomolar selective α4β2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligands. J Med Chem. 56:8404-21, 2013
- Levin ED, Sexton HG, Gordon K, Gordon CJ, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, Yenugonda VM, Liu Y, White MP, Paige M, Brown ML, Rezvani AH: Effects of the sazetidine-a family of compounds on the body temperature in wildtype, nicotinic receptor β2-/- and α7-/- mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 718:167-72, 2013
- Liu Y, Richardson J, Tran T, Al-Muhtasib N, Xie T, Yenugonda VM, Sexton HG, Rezvani AH, Levin ED, Sahibzada N, Kellar KJ, Brown ML, Xiao Y, Paige M.: Chemistry and pharmacological studies of 3-alkoxy-2,5-disubstituted-pyridinyl compounds as novel selective a4ÃŸ2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligands that reduce alcohol intake in rats. . J Med Chem. Epub, Apr, 2013
- Rezvani AH, Cauley M, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, Levin ED: Effects of chronic Sazetidine-A, a selective alpha4beta2 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor desensitizing agent on pharmacologically-induced impaired attention in rats. . Psychophharm, 226:35-43, 2013
- Hussmann GP, TurnerJR, Lomazzo E, Venkatesh R, Cousins V, Xiao Y, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Perry DC, Rezvani AH, Levin ED, Blendy JA, Kellar KJ: Chronic sazetidine-A at behaviorally active doses does not increase nicotinic cholinergic receptors in rodent brain. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 343:441-450, 2012
- Hussmann GP, Kellar KJ: A new radioligand binding assay to measure the concentration of drugs in rodent brain ex vivo. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 343:434-440, 2012
- Rezvani AH, Timofeeva O, Sexton HG, Decuir D, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, Levin ED: Effects of sazetidine-A, a selective alpha4beta2* nicotinic receptor desensitizing agent, on body temperature regulation in mice and rats. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 682:110-117, 2012
- Johnson JE, Slade S, Wells C, Petro A, Sexton H, Rezvani AH, Brown ML, Paige MA, McDowell BE, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, Levin ED: Assessing the effects of chronic sazetidine-A delivery on nicotine self-administration in both male and female rats Psychopharmacology 222:269-276, 2012
- Turner JR Ortinski PI, Sherrard RM, Kellar KJ Cerebellar nicotinic cholinergic receptors are intrinsic to the cerebellum: Implications for diverse functional roles. Cerebellum 10:748-757, 2011
- Hussmann GP, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Xiao, Y, Kellar KJ Endogenously expressed muscarinic receptors in HEK293 cells augment up-regulation of stably expressed alpha4-beta2 nicotinic receptors. J Biol. Chem. 286:39726, 2011
- Lomazzo E, Hussmann GP, Wolfe BB, Yasuda RP, Perry DC, Kellar KJ Effects of chronic nicotine on heteromeric neuronal nicotinic receptors expressed in rat primary cultured neurons. J Neurochem. 119:153-164, 2011
- Rezvani AH, Cauley M, Sexton H, Xiao Y, Brown ML, Paige MA, McDowell BE, Kellar KJ, Levin ED. Sazetidine-A, a selective α4β2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligand: effects on dizocilpine and scopolamine-induced attentional impairments in female Sprague-Dawley rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). Jan 28 2011. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lomazzo E, MacArthur L, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ: Quantitative analysis of the heteromeric neuronal nicotinic receptors in the rat hippocampus. J Neurochem 115: 625-634, 2010
- Rezvani AH, Slade S, Wells C, Petro A, Lumeng L, Li TK, Xiao Y, Brown ML, Paige MA, McDowell BE, Rose JE, Kellar KJ, Levin ED: Effects of sazetidine-A, a selective alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor desensitizing agent on alcohol and nicotine self-administration in selectively bred alcohol-preferring (P) rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010
- Saba W, Valette H, Granon S, Xiao Y, Kellar KJ, DollÂ¨Â¦ F, Bottlaender M: [18F]ZW-104, a new radioligand for imaging alpha2-alpha3-alpha4/beta2 central nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: Evaluation in mutant mice. Synapse 64:570-2, 2010 No abstract available.
- Levin ED, Rezvani AH, Xiao Y, Slade S, Cauley M, Wells C, Hampton D, Petro A, Rose JE, Brown ML, Paige MA, McDowell BE, Kellar KJ: Sazetidine-A, a selective alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptor desensitizing agent and partial agonist, reduces nicotine self-administration in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 332:933-9, 2010
- Valette H, Xiao Y, Peyronneau MA, Damont A, Kozikowski AP, Wei ZL, Kassiou M, Kellar KJ, DollÂ¨Â¦ F, Bottlaender M: 18F-ZW-104: a new radioligand for imaging neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors--in vitro binding properties and PET studies in baboons. J Nucl Med. 50:1349-55, 2009
- Xiao Y, Abdrakhmanova GR, Baydyuk M, Hernandez S, Kellar KJ Rat neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors containing alpha7 subunit: pharmacological properties of ligand binding and function. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 30:842-50, 2009
- Cucchiaro G, Xiao Y, Gonzalez-Sulser A, Kellar KJ. Analgesic effects of Sazetidine-A, a new nicotinic cholinergic drug. Anesthesiology 109:512-519, 2008
- Cox BC, Marritt AM, Perry DC, Kellar KJ. Transport of multiple nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the rat optic nerve: high densities of receptors containing alpha6 and beta3 subunits. J Neurochem. 105:1924-38, 2008
- Mao D, Perry DC, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ. The alpha4beta2alpha5 nicotinic cholinergic receptor in rat brain is resistant to up-regulation by nicotine in vivo. J Neurochem. 104: 446-56, 2008
- Perry DC, Mao D, Gold AB, McIntosh JM, Pezzullo JC, Kellar KJ. Chronic nicotine differentially regulates alpha6- and beta3-containing nicotinic cholinergic receptors in rat brain. J Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 322:306-315, 2007
- Ortinski PI, Turner JR, Barberis A, Motamedi G, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ, Vicini S.Deletion of the GABA(A) receptor alpha1 subunit increases tonic GABA(A) receptor current: a role for GABA uptake transporters. J Neurosci. 26:9323-31, 2006
- Kellar KJ. Overcoming inhibitions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA; 103:13263-4, 2006
- Mao D, Yasuda RP, Fan H, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ. Heterogeneity of nicotinic cholinergic receptors in rat superior cervical and nodose Ganglia. Mol Pharmacol. 70:1693-9, 2006
- Xiao Y, Fan H, Musachio JL, Wei ZL, Chellappan SK, Kozikowski AP, Kellar KJ. Sazetidine-A, a novel ligand that desensitizes alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors without activating them. Mol Pharmacol. 70:1454-60, 2006
- Turner JR, Kellar KJ. Nicotinic cholinergic receptors in the rat cerebellum: multiple heteromeric subtypes. J Neurosci. 25:9258-65, 2005
- Marritt AM, Cox BC, Yasuda RP, McIntosh JM, Xiao Y, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ. Nicotinic cholinergic receptors in the rat retina: simple and mixed heteromeric subtypes. Mol Pharmacol. 68:1656-68, 2005