Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Georgetown University, 1988
The primary areas of research for Dr. Fugh-Berman are pharmaceutical marketing practices and the culture of medicine. She directs PharmedOut, a Georgetown-based project that advances evidence-based prescribing and educates healthcare professionals about pharmaceutical marketing practices. Dr Fugh Berman also studies the benefits and risks of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), especially herbs and dietary supplements. She has a particular interest in herb-drug interactions. Dr. Fugh-Berman maintains medicinal herb gardens on the Georgetown campus, and directs the Urban Herbs project.
- Huo S, Scialli AR, McGarvey S, Hill E, Tügertimur B, Hogenmiller A, Hirsch AI, Fugh-Berman A.: Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review./a> PLoS One. 11(9):e0162480, 2016.
- O'Connor B, Pollner F, Fugh-Berman A.: Salespeople in the Surgical Suite: Relationships between Surgeons and Medical Device Representatives. PLoS One.11(8):e0158510,2016.
- Kucab P, Stepanyan KD, Fugh-Berman A.: Direct-to-consumer Marketing to People with Hemophilia. PLoS Med.13(6):e1001996, 2016.
- Fugh-Berman A.: Advise Against Flibanserin. Am J Nurs. 116(3):13,2016.
- Fugh-Berman A, Hogenmiller A.: CME stands for commercial medical education: and ACCME still won't address the issue. J Med Ethics.42(3):172-3,2016.
- Meixel A, Yanchar E, Fugh-Berman A: Hypoactive sexual desire disorder: inventing a disease to sell low libido. J Med Ethics. 41, 859-862, 2015.
- Fugh-Berman A: Should family physicians screen for testosterone deficiency in men? No: screening may be harmful, and benefits are unproven.. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Feb 15;91(4):226-8.
- Brown SR1, Evans DV, Fugh-Berman A Pharmaceutical industry interactions in family medicine residencies decreased between 2008 and 2013: a CERA study.. Fam Med. 2015 Apr;47(4):279-82.
- Fugh-Berman A How basic scientists help the pharmaceutical industry market drugs.. PLoS Biol. 2013 Nov;11(11):e1001716.
- Sah S, Fugh-Berman A Physicians under the influence: social psychology and industry marketing strategies.. J Law Med Ethics. 2013 Fall;41(3):665-72.
- Gupta S, Fugh-Berman A, Scialli A. Ethics and eplerenone. J Med Ethics 39:110-4, 2013.
- Bauguess S and Fugh-Berman A Case report: treatment of male subfertility with dietary supplements. Am Fam Physician. 86:798-802, 2012
- Fugh-Berman A, Siwek J. Compromising the medical literature: the hidden influence of industry-biased articles. Am Fam Physician. 84(5):489-90, 2011
- Fugh-Berman A, Brown SR, Trippett R, Bell AM, Clark P, Fleg A, Siwek J. Closing the door on pharma? A national survey of family medicine residencies regarding industry interactions. Acad Med. 86(5):649-54, 2011
- Fugh-Berman A, McDonald CP, Bell AM, Bethards EC, Scialli AR. Promotional tone in reviews of menopausal hormone therapy after the Women's Health Initiative: an analysis of published articles. PLoS Med. 8(3):e1000425, 2011
- Fugh-Berman AJ, Scialli AR, Bell AM. Why lunch matters: assessing physicians' perceptions about industry relationships. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 30:197-204, 2010
- Fugh-Berman AJ. The haunting of medical journals: how ghostwriting sold "HRT". PLoS Med. 7:e1000335, 2010
- Fugh-Berman A. Prescribing evidence: the efficacy and safety of new drugs. Am Fam Physician. 82:37, 2010
- Fugh-Berman A. Don't be 'mis-led': few herbal products have been implicated in lead poisoning. J Gen Intern Med. 24:1259-60, 2009
- Baker D, Fugh-Berman A. Do new drugs increase life expectancy? A critique of a Manhattan Institute paper. J Gen Intern Med. 24:678-82, 2009
- Fugh-Berman A. Rosuvastatin in patients with elevated C-reactive protein. N Engl J Med.360:1038-9, 2009
- Fugh-Berman AJ, Melnick D. Is long-term use of antismoking drugs consistent with public health goals or pharmaceutical marketing goals? Ann Intern Med. 149:838, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A, Melnick D. Off-label promotion, on-target sales. 5:e210, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A. Key opinion leaders: Thus are our medical meetings managed. BMJ.337:a789. doi: 10.1136/bmj.a789, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A.Prescription tracking and public health. J Gen Intern Med. 23:1277-80, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A. CAM: asking the right questions. Menopause. 15:7-8, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A. Prescriber profiling. Ann Intern Med. 148:82, 2008
- Fugh-Berman A, Bythrow J. Bioidentical hormones for menopausal hormone therapy: variation on a theme. J Gen Intern Med. 22:1030-4, 2007
- Fugh-Berman A, Ahari S. Following the script: how drug reps make friends and influence doctors. PLoS Med. 4:e150, 2007
- Fugh-Berman A. Carcinogenic diagnosis. Hastings Cent Rep. 36(5):inside back cover, 2006
- Fugh-Berman A, Alladin K, Chow J. Advertising in medical journals: should current practices change? PLoS Med. 3:e130, 2006
- Fugh-Berman A, Scialli AR. Gynecologists and estrogen: an affair of the heart. Perspect Biol Med. 49:115-30, 2006
- Fugh-Berman A, Lione A, Scialli AR. Do no harm: avoidance of herbal medicines during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 106(2):409-10, 2005
- Fugh-Berman A. The corporate coauthor. J Gen Intern Med. 20:546-8, 2005
- Fugh-Berman A, Myers A. Citrus aurantium, an ingredient of dietary supplements marketed for weight loss: current status of clinical and basic research. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 229:698-704, 2004
- Fugh-Berman A, Balick MJ, Kronenberg F, Ososki AL, O'Connor B, Reiff M, Roble M, Lohr P, Brosi BJ, Lee R. Treatment of fibroids: the use of beets (Beta vulgaris) and molasses (Saccharum officinarum) as an herbal therapy by Dominican healers in New York City. J Ethnopharmacol. 92:337-9, 2004
- Keenan NL, Mark S, Fugh-Berman A, Browne D, Kaczmarczyk J, Hunter C. Severity of menopausal symptoms and use of both conventional and complementary/alternative therapies. Menopause. 10:507-15, 2003
- Scialli A, Fugh-Berman A. The effects of oral estriol on the endometrium in postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 45(2):147, 2003
- Fugh-Berman A. "Bust enhancing" herbal products. Obstet Gynecol. 101:1345-9, 2003
- Fugh-Berman A, Kronenberg F. Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in reproductive-age women: a review of randomized controlled trials. Reprod Toxicol.17:137-52, 2003
- Awang DV, Fugh-Berman A. Herbal interactions with cardiovascular drugs. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 16:64-70, 2002
- Kronenberg F, Fugh-Berman A. Complementary and alternative medicine for menopausal symptoms: a review of randomized, controlled trials. Ann Intern Med. 137(10):805-13, 2002
- Fugh-Berman A, Pearson C. The overselling of hormone replacement therapy.Pharmacotherapy. 22:1205-8, 2002
- Fugh-Berman A. Herbal Supplements: Indications, Clinical Concerns, and Safety. Nutr Today. 37:122-124, 2002
- Ernst E, Fugh-Berman A. Complementary and alternative medicine: what is it all about?Occup Environ Med. 59(2):140-4; quiz 144, 84, 2002
- Ososki AL, Lohr P, Reiff M, Balick MJ, Kronenberg F, Fugh-Berman A, O'Connor B.Ethnobotanical literature survey of medicinal plants in the Dominican Republic used for women's health conditions. J Ethnopharmacol. 79:285-98, 2002
- Fugh-Berman A. Herbs and dietary supplements in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Prev Cardiol. 3:24-32, 2000
- Fugh-Berman A, Ernst E. Herb-drug interactions: review and assessment of report reliability. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 52:587-95, 2001
- Fugh-Berman A, Kronenberg F. Red clover (Trifolium pratense) for menopausal women: current state of knowledge. Menopause. 8(5):333-7, 2001
- Fugh-Berman A. St John's wort and major depression. JAMA. 286:43-5, 2001
- Pan CX, Morrison RS, Ness J, Fugh-Berman A, Leipzig RM. Complementary and alternative medicine in the management of pain, dyspnea, and nausea and vomiting near the end of life. A systematic review. J Pain Symptom Manage. 20:374-87, 2000
- Fugh-Berman A. Herb-drug interactions. Lancet. 355:134-8, 2000
- Ernst E, Fugh-Berman A. Complementary and alternative medicine needs an evidence base before regulation. West J Med. 171:149-50, 1999
- Fugh-Berman A, Cott JM. Dietary supplements and natural products as psychotherapeutic agents. Psychosom Med. 61:712-28, 1999
- Fugh-Berman A. Herbal medicinals: selected clinical considerations, focusing on known or potential drug-herb interactions. Arch Intern Med. 159:1957-8, 1999
- Cott JM, Fugh-Berman A. Is St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) an effective antidepressant? J Nerv Ment Dis. 186(8):500-1, 1998
- Fugh-Berman A. Clinical trials of herbs. Prim Care. 24:889-903, 1997
- Fugh-Berman A. Why you should touch your patients. Med Econ. 70:91-2, 94, 1993
- Fugh-Berman A, Epstein S. Should healthy women take tamoxifen? N Engl J Med.327(22):1596-7, 1992
- Fugh-Berman A, Epstein S. Tamoxifen: disease prevention or disease substitution?Lancet. 340:1143-5, 1992
- Fugh-Berman A. Let's stop terrorizing doctors-in-training. Med Econ. 69:27, 30-1, 34, 1992